5/30/2019

Jim Pingree

Burn out, frustration or fatigue weren't apart of the equation.
In fact, with the exception of coaching his daughter in softball, Jim Pingree has never enjoyed the sport more.
Yet, as he nears retirement from the City of Carmel, Pingree felt it was time to start looking towards the future, as he stepped down Thursday as the softball coach at Carmel.
"It's been one of my most enjoyable years," said the 56-year-old Pingree. "But I need to dot some 'I's' and 'T's' at work. I look forward to potentially coaching again in the future in some aspect."
Pingree never suffered a losing season in 12 years as a head coach -- the first nine at Santa Catalina, guiding Carmel to a Mission Division title this past spring.
"It's been a fun ride," Pingree said. "The relationships you build with the players and families. You become a part of their lives. You watch them grow as athletes and become leaders."
Pingree is one of the winningest coaches in county history with 10 or more years of service, having piled up 223 wins in 12 years as a head softball coach, posting a .769 winning percentage.
"I'm proud of the record outside league and in the playoffs," Pingree said. "Our teams were able to compete with the elite teams in the postseason. We were prepared."
Pingree won seven league championships, got to the section title game four times, and won a Central Coast Section crown with Santa Catalina in 2012.
In his three seasons at Carmel, he won 55 games, two league titles, and took the program to its first ever CCS title game in 2018, falling to Santa Catalina, whose head coach was his daughter Alex.
"I was proud of my daughter and I was proud of my team getting to the finals," Pingree said. "I felt I was in a no lose situation. It was uncharted waters for Carmel. It wasn't about me."
Ironically, it was his daughter that turned Pingree from a baseball coach to a softball coach 15 years ago, taking the Santa Catalina position with very little experience.
"It was the best decision I've ever made," Pingree said. "I had to learn this game. I wasn't afraid to call other coaches and bend their ear. I exhausted my resources for a couple of years."
On the job training came with success. Pingree reached the postseason in 11 of his 12 years as a head coach. He took the Padres to a 23 win season in 2016.
While at Santa Catalina, he improved in the win column seven straight years, setting a school record with 25 in 2011 and a CCS title in 2012.
"It's more than I could have ever imagined," a humbled Pingree said, when reminded of how many wins he piled up.
Pingree's reason for walking away from Santa Catalina were the same reasons he took the job -- to spend time with his daughter.
"I did need a break," Pingree said. "But my daughter had been through a couple of hip surgeries. It was her senior year at UC Santa Barbara. I didn't miss a game she pitched her senior year."
But he did miss coaching the sport.
Returning after a years absence, Pingree took the Carmel job, changing the direction and attitude of the program, going 55-17 in three years. Expectations were created.
"That's what you want," Pingree said. "That means you're having success. We were young. We had a lot of unanswered questions coming into the season. A lot of these kids are coming back."
Pingree isn't ruling out a return to coaching at some point after he retires, but in an assistant capacity.
"Oh, I know I'm going to miss it," Pingree said. "I've been around the sport since my daughter started playing as an eight-year old. I am leaving the program in good hands. But you know when it's time."

No comments: