2/20/2017

North Salinas girls hoops

You'd think the past would count for something. Or the fact that North Salinas went 21-3 overall this season.
 Apparently three straight trips to the Central Coast Section Division I  girls finals -- not to mention a  fifth consecutive Gabilan Division title -- didn't get the selection committees attention.
 A No. 5 seed in Division I means the Vikings (22-3) will open the playoffs on Thursday against the San Benito-Evergreen winner.
 "We don't seem to get a lot of props,'' North Salinas coach Darren Jackson said. "That's fine. We still seem to get there.''
 Jackson was referring to the CCS finals, where North Salinas has won two of the last three, making three straight State Division I tournament appearances.
 The road this year will be the Vikings biggest challenge. Getting to the quarterfinals means a date with No. 4 seed Silver Creek. Reaching the semis would be a rematch with defending champion Palo Alto.
 What might have hurt the Vikings this year was their schedule. Their three losses came from Aptos, St. Francis and Division I top seed Palo Alto.
 "I'm not disappointed,'' Jackson said. "I like getting a home game. I've never liked sitting around for a week, waiting. This keeps us more in our rhythm. We've beaten higher seeds before.''

No comments: