4/27/2015

A tribute to one of the best

 I was a senior in high school the first time I met George Watkins.
 One of the perks of stringing for The Californian back then was GW sent a photographer out to shoot the MTAL track finals, center-piecing me in the paper anchoring a winning relay team.
 Over the next 20 years, I got to know his passion for high school sports -- and the Giants of course. He sacrificed a lot over a 36 plus year career for his readers.
 GW went a decade without ever calling in sick. There were countless Friday's where it was just he and I in a newsroom after midnight, finishing up Friday night football.
 Some of his values rubbed off on me when I made my move to The Herald. One thing that was never lost was our friendship -- and a ticket from Reno each Christmas.
 Hey, we won two four-team parlays in 25 years.
 His dedication to his profession made GW a throwback. His longevity is the most impressive, how he handled the stress. I can tell you now I won't be doing this when I'm 65.
 The beauty of this is that tributes often come from those that have passed. George is moving on with his life, healthy and stress free.

No comments: